Monday, March 28, 2011

New Website for His Scars To Our Scars

Over the past couple of months I've been working with an amazing non-profit organization called His Scars To Our Scars (HSTOS). Their mission is to help those who struggle with depression, addiction, and thoughts of suicide. My involvement has been that of a web designer, and the website is finally online--a great accomplishment for myself and the organization. Please visit it and let me know what you think: www.hstos.com.

My post today is for the purpose of promoting their work--it's short, simple, but very effective.

Many people will be familiar with a non-profit named To Write Love On Her Arms (www.twloha.com). The mission of each organization is very similar, with one major difference separating the two: a faith-based approach.

I am completely aware, as is HSTOS, that a faith-based approach to counseling can often lead to skepticism and criticism, regarding its validity and its ability to provide something more than a mere psychological *spark of religious hype, causing one to have a false, or even delusional, sense of recovery. Therefore, great attention to detail is observed to make sure that every single person involved in a counseling relationship--with a trained counselor, of course--is asked to sign a document, which states that he or she will be receiving treatment via a Christian worldview, thus eliminating the subconscious, manipulative trickery, performed by seemingly innocent Christian counselors.

I'll conclude by asking the president of the organization, Joshua Stegenga, to comment on this post, thereby clearing up any misconceptions I may have written.

Also, please stay tuned: I have this week off, and I've been doing a lot of personal research on the topics, evolution, the existence of God, cosmology, etc. I'm excited to get another discussion going--just remember to keep it open-minded, so as to not frighten those who may have differing opinions.

Thanks for reading


~David

3 comments:

  1. Dave, I had the opportunity to check out the website. FIRST OFF, you did a fantastic job. SECOND, I am super excited to hear about this organization. I am definately gonna have to read up more on their stuff...

    Congrats on Completing the website :)
    -Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashlie. Let me know if you want a website. I can do something a little more artistic for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David
    1-you are the most real person I know
    2-you are correct in everything you say
    3-we are better because of your work

    ReplyDelete